I wasn’t planning on sharing this recipe with you because a friend shared it with me and I don’t know where the recipe originally came from.
But this is my husband’s most requested meal. And by most requested, I literally mean every single time we get groceries. And cold weather and Soup Season is days away. So close in fact that I actually wore a scarf today! 🙂
This soup is so good! It would be really unfair and mean of me not to share it with you.
Now, this soup is called Loaded Baked Potato Soup… because it is really similar to a loaded baked potato soup…after all, it has the potatoes, the green onion, the cheese. But we call it Bacon Soup…because of BACON!
Okay, really, though. The bacon is what makes this soup! This is not your average loaded baked potato soup. The blend of flavors–spices, cream, and bacon broth (I choose to call it bacon broth because that sounds so much more
healthy appetizing than bacon grease… don’t cha’ think? Let’s start a new movement to call it bacon broth instead of bacon grease. This is really the positive side of me coming out!)
This soup freezes really well.
We always make a double batch. We eat about 1 and 1/2 batches in a two-day span. Freeze the remaining 1/2 batch. Then one week later thaw the frozen soup and fight over who gets to eat the last few bowls. I wish I was joking, but this is 100% accurate!
My husband and I usually work together to make our Bacon Soup. It is ready to eat that much faster. Plus we are like bonding or something. I’m sure cooking together is on one of those “Cheap date ideas to do with your husband because you’re poor/have kids/can’t find a babysitter” lists. So basically, you are welcome!
Delicious soup and a date night! Okay really, with us working together we had this soup on the table by the time Elsa got to “Let it Go” in Frozen. Frozen makes a great babysitter, and you know it!!
One little tip. This recipe calls for Tabasco sauce. DON’T OMIT IT!! This is a secret ingredient. If you add the amount that it calls for, your soup won’t be spicy. But if you want to give your Bacon Soup a bit more of a kick, add a few extra shakes.
Here is a video to help you!
Baked Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 8 slices bacon fried crisp, save the grease
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2/3 cup flour OR 1/3 cup corn starch (<– for my gluten-free peeps)
- 6 cup chicken broth
- 4 cups diced, peeled baked potato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cup heavy cream (I often use whole milk instead because I always have milk on hand, not true with heavy cream)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Diced green onion
Baked Potato Soup Directions:
- In a stockpot, fry bacon and remove from grease.
- In the same pan with bacon grease, cook diced onion until tender.
- Add flour or corn starch and stir until flour (or corn starch) has absorbed all the grease.
- Once grease has been absorbed by flour/corn starch add chicken broth slowly, stirring constantly to make sure the flour doesn’t turn lumpy.
- Bring to a simmer and add the diced baked potatoes.
- Add heavy cream, parsley, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, and Tabasco. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese and green onion–do not boil.
Check out more soup recipes from Blessed Beyond Crazy!
Check out more bacon recipes from Blessed Beyond Crazy!