Easy Rhubarb Cake is a scrumptious springtime dessert that’s perfect for picnics, carry-ins, or just-because-you-want-cake. This cake is delightfully moist and absolutely delicious! It can also easily be modified to be gluten-free and dairy-free.
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. Blessed Beyond Crazy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Thanks for Pinning this recipe!
For as long as I can remember my mom has grown rhubarb and every year my family looks forward to making all kinds of delicious recipes that incorporate rhubarb.
For example, my mom’s recipe for Rhubarb Strawberry Pineapple Jam is amazing and makes a delicious little DIY gift.
Another great recipe my mother makes every spring is her fabulous Rhubarb Pie. This is yet another amazing rhubarb recipe!
So, if you love rhubarb as much as my family does, you’re sure to love this extremely easy rhubarb cake recipe. The recipe calls for one yellow cake mix (or a white cake mix would work too), rhubarb, sugar, salt, and heavy whipping cream.
First, start by cleaning and cutting stocks of rhubarb into small chunks. (You’ll need 3 cups of chopped rhubarb.)
Next, gently toss the rhubarb with granulated sugar and a dash of salt. Stir until all of the chunks are well coated, then set the bowl aside.
Now make the cake according to the directions on the box. If using a white cake mix be sure to use a whole egg and not just the egg white. NOTE: When making this cake gluten-free (as seen in the picture above), use a gluten-free yellow cake mix.
Spread the cake batter into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish/pan and spoon the sugared rhubarb evenly over the top of the cake batter.
For a dairy-free option whisk together (pictured above):
- 1 can (5.4 fluid ounces) unsweetened organic coconut cream (I personally use Native Forest brand).
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I personally use SILK or So Delicious refrigerated coconut milk).
Pour heavy whipping cream (or, as pictured above, the dairy-free coconut mixture) all over the top of the rhubarb/cake.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 50 – 60 minutes; or until the center of the cake is set. Remove from the oven and cool.
Because Easy Rhubarb Cake is dense and moist and it doesn’t really need any garnishment. However, feel free to add a dollop of whipped topping or vanilla bean ice cream to each serving (omit for dairy-free option and use gluten-free whipped topping or ice cream for gluten-free option).
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 box (15.25-ounce) yellow cake mix (Gluten-Free Option: use either a 15-ounce or 17-ounce gluten-free yellow cake mix).
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (Diary-Free Option: whisk together 1 can (5.4 fluid ounces) unsweetened organic coconut cream + 1/2 cup coconut milk)
- Clean several stocks of rhubarb then cut them into small chunks (3 cups); place chunks in bowl. Gently toss the rhubarb with sugar and salt; mix until the chunks of rhubarb are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the cake according to the directions on the box. *If using a white cake mix be sure to use a whole egg and not just the egg white.
- Spread the cake batter into a greased 9" x 13" baking dish; spoon the sugared rhubarb evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream (or the dairy-free coconut option) all over the rhubarb.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 350 degrees F for 50 - 60 minutes; or until the center of the cake is set. Cool.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped topping or vanilla ice cream. (Omit for dairy-free option. For GF option - use gluten-free whipped topping and/or ice cream.)
Even children love this Easy Rhubarb Cake! My 3-year-old granddaughter (who is gluten intolerant), gobbled it right up!
More great recipes: