This Ham, Sweet Potato, and Bean Soup pulls together a plethora of delicious flavors. The recipe is uncomplicated and easy to make gluten-free. It’s also a wonderful, hearty meal that’s perfect for your entire family, especially on a cold or rainy day.
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. Blessed Beyond Crazy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
The older I get the more I seem to fall in love with sweet potatoes. I love the flavor and how versatile and healthy they are. A simple baked sweet potato is always a favorite, but I also enjoy adding sweet potatoes to soups or in a breakfast hash. Furthermore, sweet potatoes are fabulous in biscuits, casseroles, cakes, and sweet potato pie!
Healthy Sweet Potatoes
If you do a little bit of research you’ll quickly find that sweet potatoes are native to the Americas. You’ll also find that sweet potatoes are a fleshy root vegetable, are fairly easy to grow, and are highly nutritious. Sweet potatoes are high in fiber, contain a high percentage of beta-carotene, and have a low carbohydrate content. Therefore they make a great addition to any diet.
For the Love of Soup!
It’s funny how the weather turns cold it seems my thoughts instantly turn to soup. Depending on the recipe, I break out my crockpot or stockpot and start cooking up a storm. Besides this recipe for Ham, Sweet Potato, and Bean Soup, some of my favorite recipes are included in our post titled 19+ Favorite Soups for Cold Weather.
This delicious soup is perfect to serve on a cold or rainy day. It's also extremely easy to make gluten-free.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- pinch of dried thyme
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 quarts chicken broth (I make my own homemade broth but you can use store bought) (GF Option: use a gluten-free brand)
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed (GF Option: use a gluten-free brand)
- 3 (15-ounces, each) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (GF Option: use a gluten-free brand)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (GF Option: use a gluten-free brand)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream (Dairy-Free Option: use soy, coconut, or almond milk)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- In a large stockpot combine sweet potatoes, onion, thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and ham. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Mash the potato mixture slightly with a potato masher until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add beans; simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. Stir in half-and-half.
- (If you'd like the soup to be thicker do this step) In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and just enough water to make a slurry. Gradually stir into soup; heat until mixture thickens. **Repeat this process until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate leftovers.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Ham, Sweet Potato, and Bean Soup as much as I do!
More great ideas: