We all know that making dinner can be a chore. Especially after a long and busy day. Well, if you’re feeling a little stressed about cooking this week you just might want to consider making Slow Cooker Beef Stew. Not only is this flavorful and hearty stew naturally gluten-free, but it also can stand alone, virtually as a complete meal.
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. Blessed Beyond Crazy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
Hearty and Filling
As previously mentioned, a stew is pretty much a complete meal by itself. However, sometimes it’s nice to serve a side of cornbread, cheddar biscuits, or a few slices of oatmeal yeast bread or peasant bread to help soak up the very last drop of gravy.
A healthy green side salad is yet another tasty side dish option. In addition, colorful and delicious fruity salads such as Peach and Prosciutto, Mixed Berry, or a Mint Mojito salad can easily serve as dessert.
To make this recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew, begin by pouring 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Next, add 1-1/2 pounds of beef stew meat and cook until browned. Drain and transfer the meat to a 6-quart slow cooker.
Next, add beef stock (or broth), potatoes, white pearl onions, peeled baby carrots, chopped celery, mushrooms, (such as fresh cremini, white button, or dried shiitake mushrooms), tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
Turn the slow cooker on LOW heat for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH heat for 5 to 6 hours.
Next, combine 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and stir it into the stew mixture. If not already, turn the slow cooker to HIGH, cover, and cook until the liquid in the stew thickens to a gravy consistency. Finally, discard the bay leaves and serve the stew while it’s nice and hot.
Enjoy Your Beef Stew!
In conclusion, I hope that you and your entire family thoroughly enjoy this Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
This flavorful and naturally gluten-free beef stew makes a fabulous meal any night of the week.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3-1/2 cups salt-free homemade beef stock or bone broth (**If you are pressed for time you can use store-bought beef broth but be sure to use a gluten-free brand if you need the stew to be gluten-free)
- 1-1/2 pounds red or Yukon gold potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
- 5 ounces (approx. 1 cup) white pearl onions, skins peeled
- 1 (12 ounce) package peeled baby carrots
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cremini, white button mushrooms, or dried shittaki mushrooms, (either sliced or whole)
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (either ground or dried leaves)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the beef; drain and transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add broth, potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cook on LOW heat for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH heat for 5 to 6 hours.
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir into stew mixture. If not already, turn the slow cooker to HIGH; cover and cook until the liquid in the stew thickens to gravy consistency.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve hot.
Don’t you just love a one-pot meal that’s not only delicious but also nutritious and filling?
What’s your favorite recipe for busy weeknights?
More Great Ideas: