This pineapple gravy is naturally gluten free and dairy free! The pineapple gives this gravy a slightly sweet flavor making it delicious with all kinds of meats and potatoes!
So when my mom introduced us to Layered Chinese Chicken with Pineapple Gravy I started contemplating what other recipes could benefit from the pineapple gravy.
This pineapple gravy originally developed from this Layered Chinese Chicken.
But obviously, pineapple and ham are best friends! So it only made perfect sense to add these two together. I did make the gravy chunkier for the ham than I did for the Chinese Chicken– see the recipe for options.
While I made this with a ham steak this would be just as delicious with a spiral ham.
Be sure to save this for Easter dinner!
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (GF version: Use a gluten-free brand or more of your own homemade chicken broth)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- *Optional* crushed pineapple
- In a stockpot, add pineapple juice, chicken broth, bouillon cubes, onion powder, celery salt, and salt and pepper. Cook until thoroughly heated and bouillon cubes are dissolved.
- In a measuring bowl, add cornstarch and just enough water to make a slurry or thin paste. In order to prevent clumping, slowly and gradually whisk cornstarch mixture into hot gravy. (Be sure to whisk the entire time you add mixture!)
- Heat gravy until thickened; remove from heat.
- *Optional* Add 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple into gravy for a chunkier, more pineapple flavored gravy.
This pineapple gravy is so versatile and can be enjoyed with many different recipes. What will you try it with?
Can’t get enough pineapple? Check out these other posts!