Warm weather is finally here and all those outdoor activities are calling our name! BBQs, picnics, sporting events, a day at the pool, hiking, and many more fun activities await. It’s important to have some natural ways to prevent and treat sunburn.
Sunshine not only makes us happy, but it also keeps us healthy! Exposing your skin to the sunshine is the best way for your body to produce Vitamin D. However, if you get too much of a good thing, you could get burned, literally!
Here are some natural ways to keep your skin healthy this summer!
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. Blessed Beyond Crazy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Surprisingly, whether you get a sunburn or not this summer depends a lot on what you eat! By incorporating more of these antioxidant-rich foods into your diet you could avoid getting burned all together! In addition, these foods provide wonderful nutrients for overall health.
- Dark chocolate
- Vitamin C rich foods–strawberries, kiwi, tangerines
- Healthy Fats– butter, fish, coconut oil
- Water– stay hydrated!
Okay, so maybe you need to be a little more proactive beyond just having a healthy diet.
- Wear a large sun hat to protect your face and scalp from getting sunburned.
- Gradually increase your time in the sun. If you know you will be spending a week on the beach then start spending some time in the sun and gradually increase your time and your tan before you spend an entire week soaking in the rays.
- Wear a swim shirt in the water to decrease the amount of skin exposed to the sun.
No, I don’t mean tanning oil! I’m talking about natural oils that have a natural SPF and act as a natural sunscreen.
If applying straight oil isn’t your thing and you want an actual sunscreen for peace of mind, pick up one of these all-natural brands:
- Badger Organic Sunscreen
- Goddess Garden Sunscreen
- Babo Botanical Sunscreen
- California Baby Sunscreen
- True Natural Sunscreen
OUCH! How to Naturally Treat a Sunburn
So you didn’t apply enough sunscreen or you were just simply outside too long. It happens to everyone eventually. If your skin is on fire, itchy, and red then you are certainly looking for comfort! Here are a few natural ideas that can help relieve your pain.
- Aloe Vera– the Aloe Vera or the plant. If you have an Aloe Vera plant cut off a leaf, slice it open, and apply directly to the burned skin. It doesn’t get more natural than that!
- Take a bath! Obviously, not with hot water, but a lukewarm bath. Try adding baking soda and soaking for about 15 minutes. Or add some oatmeal to help with the itching.
- Apply something cool, such as chilled potato or cucumber slices, plain yogurt, or milk.
- Drink extra water! Being in the sun all day could have dehydrated you. Staying hydrated is crucial for healthy skin!
- Try Essential Oils! Combine 3 drops lavender essential oil, 1 drop peppermint essential oil, and 1 teaspoon of carrier oil (such as coconut oil). Apply to burnt skin.
- If it is painful for you to lie down in bed or wear clothing over your burnt skin try putting corn starch on your sheets or shirt to act as a soft barrier between your skin and the fabric.
- Soak a rag in chilled green tea and apply to your sunburn to reduce inflammation.
- Applying apple cider vinegar could take the sting out of your burn.
- Applying honey could help speed up the healing process.
Be sure to Pin it so you have this information when you need it!
More great ideas: