These Sweet Potato Muffins with Walnut Streusel are hearty, delicious, and easy to make gluten-free. In addition to complementing nearly any meal, they also make a marvelous mid-afternoon snack. (NOTE: All of the photos in this post are of the gluten-free version.)
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. Blessed Beyond Crazy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
The older I get the more I appreciate sweet potatoes. Along with this recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins, I also enjoy a simple baked sweet potato as well as a bowl of Ham, Sweet Potato and Bean Soup, and a delightful Sweet Potato Pie. (Stay tuned because I’m sure I’ll be adding even more recipes that include this amazing root vegetable.)
How Do I Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
To make mashed sweet potatoes first peel and chop sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks and place them in a bowl. Next, add 2-3 inches of water to a cooking pan and bring it to a boil. Add the chopped potatoes to the hot water, cover the pan with a lid, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain off the water and smash with a fork.
Note: For this recipe, you can cook the sweet potatoes a couple of days ahead of time. Simply store them in an airtight food storage container in the refrigerator and mash them with a fork when needed.
Sweet Potato Muffins begin by combining sweet potatoes, milk, eggs, and butter. Dry ingredients consisting of flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt are added to the wet ingredients. Fold in orange zest. Next, evenly divide the batter and place it in a paper-lined muffin pan.
To make the Walnut Streusel combine brown sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts in a bowl.
Sprinkle the streusel on top of each muffin and gently press it into dough.
Bake in preheated 400 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
These Sweet Potato Muffins are hearty, delicious, and easy to make gluten-free. They are perfect for breakfast or as a mid-afternoon snack.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups flour (GF Option: use a gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (add more if you'd like a stronger orange flavor)
- 3 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon flour (GF Option: use a gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Beat sweet potatoes, milk, and egg until smooth; gradually add butter.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir into sweet potato mixture just until blended. Fold in orange zest. Divide batter evenly among paper-lined muffin cups.
- Combine streusel ingredients and sprinkle on top of each muffin; gently press into dough.
- Bake in preheated 400 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tested inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from the pan.
- Store in an airtight container.
These muffins freeze well for up to 4 weeks.
Please note that these Sweet Potato Muffins with Walnut Streusel freeze well for up to 4 weeks. Therefore, you can grab a muffin out of the freezer, warm it up, and enjoy it anytime you’re hungry for one.
Do you have a favorite sweet potato recipe?
More great ideas: