Texas Sheet Cake is a delicious and moist cake that is quick and easy to make.
It is easy to make Texas Sheet Cake gluten-free without sacrificing taste or quality!
For some reason, I have been craving chocolate cake! We are in the midst of the coronavirus quarantine and I have more than enough time to bake… this could be dangerous for my waistline if this quarantine lasts much longer. I made this cake on a Sunday, it was gone by Monday. My family requested another one, so we are on our second Texas Sheet Cake in a week.
I totally expected to get this mostly to myself because my husband and daughter don’t like chocolate desserts. My husband isn’t really much a dessert guy. Well… turns out this Texas Sheet Cake is the expectation. He LOVES it! Good thing I made it gluten-free for him.
This is actually my mother-in-law’s recipe I made a few changes to it. One was to make it gluten-free. My husband grew up eating Texas Sheet Cake, but had not had one since he has been gluten-free, seven years ago! He forgot how much he loves it. It is seriously the only chocolate dessert he likes.
Our favorite way to enjoy this cake is with a tall glass of cold milk!
Texas Sheet Cake Ingredients:
For the Cake:
- 2 sticks of butter (16 Tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, or Gluten-Free all-purpose flour + 1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
For the Icing:
- 4 Tablespoons butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Texas Sheet Cake Directions:
- In a saucepan melt butter and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together dry cake ingredients. Add eggs, sour cream, and milk. Add the cooled cocoa/butter mixture.
- Pour into a greased jelly roll pan (13 × 18)
- Bake at 350 °F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, stir butter until creamy. Add cocoa powder and stir into butter. Slowly add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time while continuing to stir (this will prevent the icing from being lumpy). Stir in the vanilla. Add powdered sugar half cup at a time and stir until fully incorporated.
- Spread icing on cooled cake.
Texas Sheet Cake, Gluten Free Option
Leave a Reply