It just isn’t Thanksgiving without a Pumpkin Roll!
Every Thanksgiving my brother-in-law makes a pumpkin roll, and it is my favorite!
First of all, I am super excited to participate in this month’s recipe challenge with several other amazing bloggers. The theme for our recipe creations this month is amazing desserts (just in time to try them all before the holidays)! A list of all of the other amazing dessert recipe contributions can be found at the end of this post.
I don’t know why but it took me 4 years to think that maybe I should make a gluten free pumpkin roll so the other half of my family can enjoy it too!
Thankfully, my gluten free pumpkin roll turned out to be just as delicious (cannot tell a difference at all!) as the original! Let’s just say, it didn’t make it 24 hours before it was devoured!
Here’s a video of how to make a pumpkin roll:
The pumpkin roll in all these pictures is a gluten free roll. We seriously could not tell any difference!
(Printable version at the end of the post)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour * see notes for gluten-free version
*For gluten-free version use 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten free flour and add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. Click here for a homemade gluten free flour recipe.
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat eggs on high for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add in sugar and continue beating for several minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin.
- Gradually add flour and rest of cake ingredients.
- Grease and flour* a [amazon_textlink asin=’B00INRW7GC’ text=’jellyroll pan’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’blesbeyocraz-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4f9de48b-9e71-11e7-a31c-e1cabdd0b1b5′ rel=”nofollow” target=”_blank”] (10×15). Spread batter into pan.
- Bake at 375° F for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooking, spread out a towel that is as large as your jellyroll pan. Heavily, sprinkle powder sugar on the towel.
- Make the icing by beating the cream cheese, adding the rest of the ingredients, and beating until smooth.
- Once the cake is done cooking, immediately flip the pan upside down onto the powder sugared towel. Roll the cake up in the towel and let cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooled, unroll the cake and spread icing on the cake, roll back up.
- Cut the very end pieces off to show the swirl better. And also to taste test 😉
- Keep refrigerated.
*Use any gluten free flour.
Check out all the other AMAZING Dessert recipes below from bloggers who took part in our Challenge!
- Amazing Toffee Apple Cake by Lovefoodies
- Cherry Amaretto Frosted Brownies by Who Needs a Cape?
- Pumpkin Spice Cake with Apple Butter Cream Cheese Frosting by Life Currents
- Pumpkin Roll: Traditional and Gluten Free Recipes by Blessed Beyond Crazy
- Chocolate Chip Croissant Bread Pudding by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Chocolate Pudding Cheesecake by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Hummingbird Sheet Cake by The Kitchen is My Playground