Today I wanted to share with you my favorite recipe for Rice Krispie treats, which surprisingly does not use Rice Krispie cereal! I like to use Rice Chex because they are always gluten-free and my family likes the texture better with the Chex. Sometimes name-brand Rice Krispies are gluten-free, but most off-brands are not!
These only have 3 ingredients (not including the salt), and I almost always have everything in my pantry. These are great for making a last minute dessert.
Beware! They are irresistible and once you take a bite you will want to eat the whole pan! Whenever I take these to a gathering, I NEVER bring home leftovers. The pan is always empty! These are the perfect balance of sweet and salty!
Brown Butter Sea Salt Chex Treats
- 1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons)
- 1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- Sea salt
- In a large stockpot, on high heat, melt butter and stir until it starts to brown. You want to keep an eye on it, so it doesn’t burn, you want to get it to the point where it turns brown and starts to have a rich nutty smell. About 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add the whole bag of marshmallows. Stir until they are completely melted. Tip: Use a silicone spatula so the marshmallows don’t stick to your spoon.
- Add the 6 cups of Chex cereal and remove stockpot from heat. Stir until evenly coated and completely mixed.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 cake pan. Use the spatula to squish cereal down evenly through the pan. Sprinkle top with cracked sea salt. Resist the urge to pop a Chex piece into your mouth at this time because it will be friggin hot! Also, you won’t be able to stop eating them!
- Let cool for 30 minutes. Cut into squares or triangles or hexagons… really whatever you fancy.
If you love Chex cereal be sure to check out this Chocolate Coffee Toffee Puppy Chow.