Summer heat is the perfect excuse to indulge in all things revolving around ice cream! Whether this is just for your family or for a whole party of people these homemade ice cream sandwiches will be a huge hit! This is the perfect classic recipe to keep you cool this summer.
If you know someone on a special diet, I have also included instructions for making this gluten free or dairy free so that no one will be left out!
Prepare the Ice Cream
Before you start making the cookie part of your ice cream sandwich you will want to get your ice cream prepared. Preferably the day before.
You will need: ½ gallon Vanilla Ice cream (or your favorite flavor)
Prepare the ice cream by lining a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper. Scoop the ice cream onto the parchment paper. As the scoops start to soften spread out the ice cream with a spatula. Keep a close eye on the ice cream to make sure it doesn’t melt too much. Place in freezer for several hours (or overnight) until hardened.
*Pictured: I started by using a jelly roll pan and then decided that wasn’t the right shape. I folded the parchment paper in half to double up my ice cream and this worked just fine. In the future I will just use a 9 x 9 pan. 🙂
Make the Cookie
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (for a gluten-free version use a gluten-free flour blend and add 2 teaspoons of xanthan gum)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (For a dairy-free version you could use 2 tablespoons olive oil—although I have not personally tried this)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream butter, oil and sugar together.
- Add eggs to butter/oil mixture one at a time. Mix after each egg.
- Next, add vanilla to liquid mixture.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and combine well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Place a silicone baking mat on a cookie sheet (11.5 x 15.5). Spread cookie dough evenly across entire silicone baking mat. You can use a rolling pin or your hands. The dough should be about ½ inch thick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the cookie has cooled cut it in half to form two large squares.
- Place your large frozen ice cream square onto one of your cookie squares.
- Place the other cookie square on top of your ice cream to form one large sandwich. This is why it’s important to use a silicone baking mat! See in my pictures (above) the half of the cookie made a very clean separation from the pan without breaking!
- If your ice cream has softened, place back into the freezer until completely frozen. If you try to cut your large sandwich into smaller ones while the ice cream is soft it will all ooze out the sides and make a large mess.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the large ice cream sandwich into smaller rectangles.
Homemade ice cream sandwiches are not only easy to make they are fun to eat. Add a little something extra by dipping the ends of the ice cream sandwiches in colorful candy sprinkles, chopped nuts, or mini M&M’s or chocolate chips.
Enjoy the hot summer months and creating this yummy summery treat! (Bet you can’t eat just one! Wink, wink!)