Who doesn’t love funnel cakes? Unfortunately, I have never been to a funnel cake stand where they offer a gluten-free version. Fortunately, I have come up with a great recipe for gluten free funnel cakes and you’ll never know the difference!
First of all, when my husband found out he had to start a gluten-free diet, he was pretty upset. Naturally, he kept thinking about all the foods he couldn’t have. I then made it my personal challenge to find a gluten-free version of his favorite foods so he wouldn’t miss anything.
The first time I made gluten free funnel cakes was during our county fair. We usually do not go every night to the fair, however it’s always our tradition to split a funnel cake when we do go. Seems like it was something we never really thought about until it was my husband’s first gluten-free summer. It was pretty sad, thinking we couldn’t get our traditional funnel cake, so we went home and made our own version. Now we can have them whenever we want, not just during fair week.
First of all, this recipe calls for Gluten-Free baking mix. You can use gluten free Bisquick, or make your own. I did discover another great homemade recipe that you can find here here.
I recommend using a cast iron pan rather than any other kind of pan. Cast iron works really well for holding in heat. Since you will be dealing with very hot oil, please make sure you have everything set up and close at hand when you start cooking. Because the cooking time is short, you will need tongs, an extra plate or two, and an oven mitt or hot pad close by.
- Make your favorite gluten free pancake batter.
- Add one jar of coconut oil (14 ounces) to a cast iron pan and heat to 350 degrees F.
- Once oil is hot, use a funnel and fill with pancake batter. Zig zag and swirl the batter into the hot oil, making sure to criss-cross/overlap the batter.
- Once edges of the funnel cake start to look golden, carefully, using tongs and/or a slotted spoon flip the funnel cake over.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Finally we can have our very own delicious gluten free funnel cakes anytime we want.
More great gluten free recipes: