Chicken Pot Pie
An American classic! All your food groups in one meal. Comfort food.
My family has not had chicken pot pie since my husband and daughter were diagnosed with a gluten intolerance; almost 3 years ago. I have missed it!
There are several different ways to make homemade chicken pot pie. One way is to make a pie crust and add all the yummy chicken and veggies into it. Another way is to bake the casserole with biscuits placed on top. My favorite way, (because it’s the easiest!) is to make a batch of biscuits and then smother them with chicken and veggies! I like this method best because the biscuits don’t get soggy on the bottom, plus I don’t have to worry about under-cooking or overcooking one part of the casserole while waiting on the other part to get done. It’s also easier to keep the leftovers. Since the biscuit are on the bottom and the chicken and veggies on top we call it Upside Down Chicken Pot Pie! 😉
The hardest part about making this was finding gluten free biscuits. Well… actually finding gluten free biscuits isn’t hard, but finding gluten free biscuits that don’t taste like cardboard or are as hard as a rock–now that was a challenge!
At our house, we love this King Arthur Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix.
I saw this recipe for gluten free biscuits on the back of the box and I was sold!
Unfortunately, I was all out of bacon (insert tiny violins playing sad music), but I did add one clove of garlic. This instantly turned the biscuits into Garlic Cheddar Biscuits!! OH. MY. These were GOOD!
While these were baking in the oven I started on the rest of the ingredients.
Normally a chicken pot pie recipe would be made with a can of cream of chicken soup. Since most canned soups contain gluten, I simply made my own (which is actually healthier!).
I started with chicken stock, half and half, and corn starch, (you could also use potato starch, rice flour, or another type of thickener). I added parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt & pepper for seasoning. Once the mixture thickened , I added some shredded chicken breast and mixed frozen vegetables. I also had a bell pepper and onion that I chopped up and added. When all the vegetables were fully cooked, the mixture was ready!
Simply cut a savory biscuit in half and smother it with the chicken and vegetables! This recipe is tasty and filling.
- 1 batch King arthur gluten free baking mix biscuits-made according to directions on back of box (or favorite biscuit recipe)
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Parsley
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Corn starch
- 1/2 cup Half & half
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 Bag Mixed vegetables, frozen
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- Cook biscuits according to package directions
- Combine corn starch and chicken stock in medium sauce pan.
- Turn on medium heat and stir constantly until it begins to thicken.
- Slowly stir in half and half and garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, frozen vegetables, onion and bell pepper to sauce. Continue cooking until vegetables are cooked through.
- Cut a biscuit in half and pour several spoonfuls of the chicken and veggie mixture on top.