Since the beginning of the year, my husband and I have been on a mission to lose weight. As of the writing of this post, my hubby has lost 30 pounds and I’ve managed to loose 11. Basically, we have been diligent to watch our carb intake, consume less meat and eat more vegetables. This Gluten-Free Veggie Bacon Feta Salad is a recipe that fits perfectly in our diet.
Exercise has also played a key role in our weight loss. The combination of diet and exercise has resulted in both my husband and I fitting into smaller clothes.
To help support our blogging activities, our site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you.
Although Gluten-Free Veggie Bacon Feta Salad can easily stand alone as a meal all by itself, it is also a perfect accompaniment to grilled burgers, pork chops, chicken, steaks or ribs. It’s also a great gluten-free side dish for a picnic or potluck dinner.
The pictures above and the one below are taken without the addition of bacon, feta cheese, and the salad dressing.
Gluten-Free Veggie Bacon Feta Salad starts by combining chopped cucumbers, yellow bell peppers, cauliflower flowerets, grape tomatoes, garbanzo beans as well as chopped fresh basil and Italian parsley. (Feel free to add additional veggies if you so desire.)
Note: In order to control the amount of sodium in the salad, I purchased a 1 pound bag of organic garbanzo beans. I placed the beans in a strainer and rinsed them well, then poured them into a 3-quart stockpot and soaked them overnight. The next morning I rinsed the beans again and added 6 cups of water and simmered them for 1 hour. Next, I drained and rinsed them again and allowed them to cool to room temperature.
Since I am on a gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free diet, I make my own salad dressings and gluten-free Restaurant-Style Homemade Croutons. Several of my favorite salads are Strawberry Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette Poppy Seed Dressing and Berry Spinach Salad.
The dressing I made to top this Gluten-Free Veggie Bacon Feta Salad is similar to the one I make for my Berry Spinach Salad.
It consists of a combination of:
- canola mayonnaise (I like the Spectrum brand)
- GoBeyond Foods Natural Sweetener Jungle Sweet Blend (Stevia, Xylitol, Coconut Sugar)
- Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
Recently I have discovered Jungle Sweet Sweetener and simply love it. Here’s why:
- LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX OF 11 – derived from natural sources.
- GOOD SOURCE OF MINERALS – fewer calories and carbohydrates than sugar.
- HEALTHIER REPLACEMENT FOR SUGAR – Twice as sweet as sugar, no aftertaste, great for baking
- 100% NATURAL BLEND – Kosher certified, Vegan certified, Non-GMO certified and Paleo optimized.
- NO CONVENTIONAL REFINED SUGARS – Made with Organic Coconut Sugar, Organic Stevia & Natural Birch Bark Xylitol
- Feel free to add additional vegetables such as red onions, broccoli flowerets, snow peas, and more.
- This recipe can easily be divided in half.
- Feel free to add rotisserie chicken, cooked shrimp or strips of cooked steak in addition (or in place of) the bacon.
- What’s your favorite salad???Linda
More great ideas: